Clay Pigeon Thrower Ultimate Online Guide and Information Center
There aren’t many things better in life then enjoying a afternoon shooting clay pigeons with friends and family. It’s an activity that truly brings people together. Young and old get equal enjoyment out of the simple act of shooting at little orange disks. There’s something special about seeing the familiar shattering of clays that brings about a positive feeling in everyone. Our goal is to help facilitate you in your quest for the best clay pigeon thrower available for you unique needs. Whether you’re the competitive type or just the casual weekend shooter, there’s a thrower to meet everyone’s requirements.
We have gone through the hard work of putting together an interactive chart to better help you make your decision. You have the ability to chose what attributes are most important to you and sort the chart in whatever fashion works best for you.
Included in the chart are 6 columns
- Thrower picture and make/model
- Overall dimensions of the thrower
- Total weight of the thrower
- Is thrower capable of being operated by the shooter
- Throwing mechanism
- Price, these are approximate prices. These change frequently based on availability, special promotions, and more. But generally speaking: $ = under $40, $$ = $40 to $100, $$$ = $100 to $250, $$$$ = $250-$400, $$$$$= $400+
- Rating out of 5.
Do you want to see an even bigger chart with over 25 different throwers? Click Here
There are actually many more clay pigeon throwers available then what we have listed. There are so many different manufacturers and models on the market that it would almost be impossible to list everything. We have attempted to strike a compromise by including in the chart a broad range of throwers.
Most of the throwers are mechanically operated, but we have included a few hand operated throwers in the chart. This is because hand throwers are generally much cheaper and require no assembly time. This is a perfect option for people that are either on a budget or are looking for a no frills solution.
All of the listed products are also available for purchase on amazon.com, making it easy for you to buy if you are inclined to do so. By clicking on the picture or the name of the thrower you will be redirected to its amazon.com product page and be able to read more reviews and view highly detailed pictures. A huge advantage to ordering on amazon.com is that most of these products qualify for free shipping. That’s a great deal when you consider that many of the items weigh in at well over 20 pounds.
What is a Clay Pigeon Thrower?
A clay pigeon thrower (sometimes referred to as a trap) is a device that aids in the throwing of clay pigeons. It sounds relatively simple, but it reality there are many different ways to go about doing this. Some of the throwers are as simple as a handheld device while others require car batteries to be powered and are capable of throwing hundreds of clays automatically. Which one is best for you depends on your specific needs.
Most non-handheld throwers primarily have 4 different clay release methods:
- String Release – The non-shooter or shooter pulls on a string that is attached to a release mechanism. This is a good option if you’re looking for a small, low weight solution. Usually this type of thrower needs to be staked or weighted to the ground to prevent it from falling over after every release.
- Foot Plate Release – This is the perfect clay pigeon thrower for someone that is looking for a low cost, shooter activated trap. By stepping on a foot plate the shooter or non-shooter releases the clay. This type of thrower is very similar in size to that of the string release models, making it easy to transport and set up.
- Auto Release – Auto release throwers are the cadillacs of the clay shooting world. These are usually battery powered and capable of holding dozens of clays. They are usually equipped with a electronic foot release pedal that only requires a tap of the foot to send a clay flying. If you’re serious about clay shooting, this is the trap for you.
- Hand Release – A hand release clay pigeon thrower is usually operated from a seated position. Many models can be attached to the hitch of a truck to make setup even easier. This type of trap is ideal for anybody that wants to stay in a comfortable position while throwing clays for a friend.
How To Find a Thrower That Meets Your Needs
The best place to start would be by referencing the chart that we have put together for your benefit. Take the time to weight which options are most important to you. Not everybody needs an automatic thrower that can send 200+ pigeons down range in a short amount of time. Many of us are just looking for an easy to use, low maintenance trap that we can enjoy using on the weekends. Here are a few question to ask yourself to help you decide what trap is best for you.
- Will you primarily be shooting alone or with friends? Determining this will help you decide whether you need a clay pigeon thrower that can be shooter operated.
- Do you want the capability to shoot at more then 1 clay at a time? Many models offer the ability to load 2 or more clays for multiple bird engagements.
- Are you planning on moving the thrower frequently? If you plan only moving the trap from your garage to your backyard you can go with a much heavier and more robust thrower. If the trap will be moved frequently and loaded in vehicles, it would be wisher to go with one that is lighter and smaller.
- How frequently do you plan on using the thrower? Traps are just like any other mechanical device in that frequent use needs to wear and tear. Most brands offer professional and recreational models. Professional models tend to be more robust and require less maintenance. The recreational models are designed more for the weekend warrior. If you plan on shooting a few times a week it would be best to consider a professional model. It will save you time on maintenance and lead to less frustration. If you only plan of shooting a few times a month, a recreational model will be all that you need.
The Rest Is Up To You
You can now use all the information provided to make an educated decision. We will continue to add reviews to the site and new clay pigeon throwers to our inactive chart to aid you even more. If you feel that we are missing any important products or information please feel free to contact us and let us know.